Vibrant Hydrants - Call to Artists
Deadline: August 2nd, 2019
The City of Hallandale is excited to announce the public art project, “Vibrant Hydrants.”
The City of Hallandale, in partnership with ArtServe, is seeking professional visual artists to express their artistic vision into the community by “adopting” and painting 10 fire hydrants throughout the city of Hallandale.
Professional visual artists will be paired with amateurs, students, emerging artists and local families and be encouraged to incorporate the character of South Florida environmental surroundings into their design.
The design should be appropriate for a public space and for public viewing.
WHAT IS PROHIBITED?
Inappropriate words, advertisements, political messages, etc. Glued or attached objects.
* Camouflage or designs that significantly reduce hydrant visibility.
* Black paint covering more than 20% of the overall hydrant.
* Should not endorse an individual, business, or be offensive in any way.
* Should not inhibit the functional use of the hydrant. (see below for details)
* Submission and selection runs from July 16th through August 2nd, 2019.
* All proposed designs must be submitted for approval during this period.
* Selected applicants will be notified no later than August 5th, 2019.
* Painting of fire hydrants begins on August 2019 (Artists will be notified of schedule).
Artists will receive a stipend of $1,200 as compensation to cover design and materials costs.
• Paint only on the assigned fire hydrants.
• Artists must bring their own art supplies and paint according to the Fire Department Regulations?
• Nothing can be attached to the fire hydrant.
• Artists may use stencils, air brush with masking tape, or freehand your design.
• Artists must stick to the design submitted in this application. If you desire to make changes, you must seek ArtServe and the City of Hallandale’s approval prior to changing your design.
• Only designated fire hydrants within the City of Hallandale boundaries are potential candidates for painting.
• The public and private space immediately around the fire hydrant should be kept clean and neat when not directly working on the fire hydrant. Please respect the property.
• Fire hydrants that fall into a state that no longer enhance the immediate area will be painted over. For example, a hydrant that begins to peel or otherwise deteriorate.
If rules are not followed your hydrant will be painted over. City of Hallandale requires all artists to comply with the rules of the project.
All questions should be addressed to ArtServe curatorial committee at email@example.com.
The City of Hallandale and ArtServe will base their decision to approve applications on creativity, originality, imagination, and appropriateness.
POTENTIAL ART & DESIGN THEMES:
In celebration of South Florida diverse ecosystem, we encourage designs inspired by natural elements. Designs can highlight South Florida fauna, flora, etc.