Call To Artists
Vibrant Hydrants Call to Artists
The City of Hallandale, in partnership with ArtServe, is seeking professional visual artists to express their artistic vision into the community by painting fire hydrants throughout the City of Hallandale Beach (FL). Artists are encouraged to submit their portfolios and design proposals throughout the duration of this project.
- Paint only on the assigned fire hydrants.
- Artists must bring their own art supplies and paint according to the Fire Department Regulations (this info will be provided to you prior to painting).
- Nothing can be attached to the fire hydrant.
- Artists may use stencils, airbrush with masking tape, or freehand your design.
- Artists must stick to the approved design. If you desire to make changes, you must seek ArtServe and the City of Hallandale’s approval prior to changing your design.
- Only designated fire hydrants within the City of Hallandale boundaries are potential candidates for painting.
- The public and private space immediately around the fire hydrant should be kept clean and neat when not directly working on the fire hydrant. Please respect the property.
- Fire hydrants that fall into a state that no longer enhance the immediate area will be painted over. For example, a hydrant that begins to peel or otherwise deteriorate.
If rules are not followed your hydrant will be painted over. City of Hallandale requires all artists to comply with the rules of the project.
- Camouflage or designs that significantly reduce hydrant visibility.
- Black paint covering more than 20% of the overall hydrant.
- Should not endorse an individual, business, or be offensive in any way.
- Should not inhibit the functional use of the hydrant. (see below for details)
The City of Hallandale Beach and ArtServe will base their decision to approve applications on creativity, originality, imagination, and appropriateness.
Applications are submitted digitally through the ArtServe portal and must include:
- Digital portfolio with a minimum of 6-10 samples of work, including works that highlight skills in the execution of public art. Images must be labeled with title, year created, media type, size, and location of artwork and/or project, and any other special notes.
Digital portfolios must be presented in a PDF format.
- Artist’s bio and resume/vitae.
- Artist’s statement
- Contact info, website, and social media channels
Candidates must be professional artists, eligible to work in the United States, and age 18 or older.
Candidates are eligible regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical ability.
Hallandale resident artists are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is an ONGOING project that will take place throughout 2020-2021.
All questions should be addressed to the ArtServe curatorial committee at email@example.com.