Chief Curator (Full-Time)
ArtServe, Inc. seeks a full-time team member with strong non-profit experience and a passion for arts and culture in South Florida. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Chief Curator will be a part of the senior management team and help inform decisions around department strategy and future planning. The Chief Curator is responsible for conceptualizing and realizing exhibitions of different genres, external public art projects, member development, on-site artist workshops, and events. This position drives all aspects of exhibition creation and external collaboration and works in tandem with marketing, PR, and operations.
Start Date: October 3, 2022
• Conceptualize, organize, and lead exhibition projects on all scales.
• Foster creative relations and mentorship with ArtServe members and resident artists by maintaining the line of communication open, offering curatorial advice, attending their events and exhibitions, and visiting their artists’ studios
• Seek, collaborate, and negotiate with external institutions, hotels, hospitals, developers, private building owners, etc. as part of our external Public Art Program.
• Be responsible for conducting research in current and future themes in art and cultural related to potential exhibitions, publications, lectures, workshops, and interpretive public programs.
• Initiate and maintain contacts with artists, scholars, curators, authors, and other colleagues in the field of the arts and culture in general.
• Work with Partnership Manager and Executive Director in securing grants for exhibitions and other projects in cultivating individuals, corporations, and foundations that may donate funds and/or goods and services in support of ArtServe.
• Manage and mentor a junior curatorial staff member.
• Collaborate with creative and design teams along with digital curators on developing content for the website, and digital e-blasts.
• Collect, edit, proof, and produce materials (Images, bios, artists’ statement, etc.)
• Handle call-to-artists, artist recruitment, intake and installation for all exhibitions including managing the art sales program.
• Recruit and train volunteers, docents, gallery staff in conjunction with the Membership Manager.
• Initiate project-related outreach and interpretive programs geared for a wide range of audiences.
• Represent ArtServe in media outlets or other public platforms as required including a strong comfort in public speaking, panel moderation, and media interviews.
• 6+ years of arts and cultural experience, with at least 4 years in a Curator role.
• A BA or equivalent professional experience in museum studies, art history, or any related field.
• Significant demonstrated experience conceptualizing, researching, planning, and installing exhibitions.
• Demonstrated experience working with living artists on projects and/or exhibitions.
• Excellent oral and written presentation skills demonstrated through public speaking engagements and media/press.
• Excellent organizational, prioritization, and time management skills; ability to execute against multiple, high-priority projects, with keen attention to detail with excellent follow-through.
• Highly-developed written and verbal communications skills geared toward a wide audience, with a record of high-quality work.
• Great ability for collaborative and collegiate working methods.
• Experience managing staff.
• A commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
• BA or BFA in arts administration, art, art history or related fields plus 8 years in the arts and culture realm. (Or an equivalent combination of education, experience, and transferable skills) are the minimum requirements for this position.
• Interested applicants should email the following to email@example.com
• A cover letter
• A current resume
• One writing sample that is applicable to the field of art or this position in particular
• Artistic Samples of Art you have commissioned
• Three professional references
Compensation and Benefits
• Medical Health Benefits for Employee paid at 100%
• “Gap” Insurance paid at 100%
• Two weeks starting holiday pay and 5 personal days, annually
• 13 Federal Holidays observed
• Flexible working hours/days
• $50,000 annual salary
About ArtServe: Headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, ArtServe is an award-winning, 33-year-old non-profit arts incubator that is advancing the arts for social good. Named a “2020 Top-Rated Nonprofit” by Great Non-profits, ArtServe has won awards for innovation and collaboration for exhibition and programming that substantively contribute to the region’s economy. The organization’s creative and thoughtful projects spark financial vitality by aligning professional artists with the business community.
Kindly submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for a position with ArtServe.